The Last Tower

“Bell End”

This ring of bells was purchased in 2011, but were only hung in 2015 after a fruitless search for a suitable home in Alderney. The bells have now been hung in a barn in Tulloch, just a few metres from the twelve. Initially named “Bell End”, in homage to JRR Tolkein‘s creation, Bag End, the home of Bilbo Baggins,  the prominent bay window feature of the ringing chamber, reminiscent of the bell end of a tent, and not least that the creation of this ring of bells is the end to bellhanging at Tulloch.  However prior to the first ring on the bells the tower has been renamed “The Last Tower” to spare the sensitivities of those with a low sense of humour and a smutty mind.

Bell             ¢Dia           ¢Weight                 Date & Founder

                  (Inches)          Cwt-Qtr-Lb)

1                      11.5”               ¢0-1-10                        2002 Taylor, Loughborough.

2                      12”                  0-1-23                          1925 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon.

3                      13”                  0-1-27                          1929 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon.

4                      14”                  0-2-11                          2002 Taylor, Loughborough.

5                      15”                  0-2-24                          1947 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon.

6                      16”                  0-3-19                          2005 Taylor, Loughborough.

7                      17”                  1-0-7                            1949 Taylor, Loughborough.

8                      18.5”               1-1-15                         1949 Taylor, Loughborough.

 

Tenor note A-17

1,4 and 6 are new Taylor bells ex stock.

2nd has a long inscription relating to The Girls Friendly Society of the Northern Province (of England).Inscription-2nd

GILLETT & JOHNSTON. 1925.

THE JUBILEE GIFT OF THE
GIRLS’ FRIENDLY SOCIETY
IN THE NORTHERN PROVINCE
IN MEMORY OF THE FOUNDRESS OF THE SOCIETY
MARY ELIZABETH TOWNSEND
MAY ITS CALL TO PRAYER AND PRAISE
BE EVER WELCOMED AND OBEYED

3rd was from a clock chime in Eastbourne.

5th was from – Holy Child Jesus (RC Convent), Sir Harry’s Road, EDGBASTON The inscription appears to relate to Cornelia Connelly and the centenary of the founding of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus in England in 1846

Established in Edgbaston in 1936 the Society of the Holy Child Jesus (SHCJ) Convent school changed its name in 2001 to Priory School. The sisters of the SHCJ ceased managing the School in 1986, but have maintained close contact and continue to take a friendly interest in the School.Inscription-5

GILLETT & JOHNSTON. 1947.

CORNELIA
IN MEMORIUM
1846-1946

7 and 8 were from a clock chime at Prestatyn, North Wales.